Sunday, April 17, 2022

Sacraments

My church has seven sacraments.  Other churches have a different number or none.  Sacraments use things, material things, to express God at work.  It is the visible to express the invisible.  Sacraments can be called, "inventions of love."  Someone or someones, made them up to express an intimacy with God in the action of the sacrament and our participation.  Kisses are inventions of love too.  Homo Sapiens or our ancestors before us, made up kisses to express love.  Smiles can do this too.  It is not that we never smiled.  We just invented a new meaning for it.  It is all sacramental, things/actions to express Love whom I call God in action.  

2 comments:

  1. I love this. A wise friend once drew a box on an easel pad and said Love doesn't live in there, but is an action, a verb. That made an imprint on my heart that I continue to share with others. Thank you, Father Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Fr.Terry.
    This has made me look at the sacraments in a new light!

    ReplyDelete