Sunday, April 23, 2023

Expectations

 As we begin to move into a better spiritual balance, or sobriety, we begin to leave selfishness by the roadside.  We begin to do for others without asking that they do for us in return.  No quid pro quo here.  We begin to love without strings attached to our actions.  We know that we are moving away from this selfless life when we hear ourselves muttering, "Why don't they do for me what I do for them?"  We think our good behavior, as we see it, is supposed to be a model for everyone else to follow.  This is a return to focus on self, even while we are being of service to others.  We are not in charge of their spiritual growth or sobriety, but only our own.  

2 comments:

  1. Amen. My favorite professor said, "Love means doing something for the sake of the other, and expect nothing, not even gratitude, in return." I have spent the last 30 years trying to live this out. Unfortunately, I fail too often.

    ReplyDelete