Wednesday, April 12, 2023

Listening

It is important to have someone who listens to you.  That is one of the reasons that a person in Recovery has a Sponsor.  The listener helps a person feel that they are understood.  How?  They ask a question to help the listener to more fully explain.  They affirm what the listener is saying, or question what is being said without judging.  The listener helps the speaker to more fully understand themself, or their situation. I have had times when I spoke up and was ignored.  Or I did not say anything and no one even seemed to recognize I was in the room.  Or I said something to someone and they changed the subject.  Stuff happens.  So have a friend who listens because many people will otherwise disappoint your expectations.  A listener will help you let go of your need, and therefore your expectations, to be heard by so many others.  God, the Listener, I find in Heart meditation.  

1 comment:

  1. My sponsor leads by example with how to listen and how to get under each layer of the subject so I can in turn be a better listener. What a gift! ❤️

    ReplyDelete