Thursday, October 26, 2023

To Eat

 Why would you give money to clothes or shelter, to someone who has not earned it?  A fair capitalistic question.  No work and therefore no pay.  I might say, "Why don't you get a job?"  Well, I am not an economist.  But I am at this moment, looking at someone who, this moment has no shelter or is cold or is broke and hungry.  Their need is immediate.  Now, I could sit/stand in judgment and say they are addicted, lazy, and will use whatever I give them for some bad thing as I see it.  So I do nothing.  But I was changed from that by a friend with whom I was walking in a downtown city.  He stopped where a homeless person, disheveled, mumbling about "help" was sitting on the ground, and gave him some money.  I said, "He is only going to use it to get a drink."  My friend said, "Maybe that is what he needs."  This is when addiction was considered a moral failing and DT's was your punishment.  

2 comments:

  1. Growth is a beautiful thing and we never know when we might need unconditional help ourselves

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have relatives like that.

    ReplyDelete