Monday, February 6, 2012

Crazy

If you are crazy, you really don't know it, right? I mean that is part of being crazy. You think you are making good decisions and you are not. Crazy people tend not to ask for second opinions. They think that they know what they are doing. Example: you decide to marry someone. Your friends say, "Are you crazy? That guy is all wrong for you." You don't listen. After the marriage, you say to yourself, "What was I thinking? This guy is all wrong for me." In fact, you were not thinking. You are crazy when you decided to marry the fellow.

The people I have met who are aware of their craziness, are people in recovery, in therapy who have accepted a diagnosis of their craziness. I always know when I have passed through a period of craziness. When I come to the realization that I made a dumb decision that at the time did not seem so dumb. Had a asked for some advice from someone who knows me, I would have heard a second opinion that turned out to be correct.

When I told my friends that I was going into the seminary, they did not say I was crazy. They said I would not last, because they knew me and my wildness. I needed to grow up which is an issue of maturity and not so much of craziness. Being wild is not the same as being crazy. Crazy is making decisions that have no chance of working as you think. So, if you have an inkling that you are crazy, get some friends and listen to their opinion when you are "thinking" about "making a change".

No comments:

Post a Comment