Thursday, February 23, 2012

Lent

Why come up for ashes if you have no intent on changing your heart? I ask this question of myself. I am supposed to be repenting my faults, bad attitudes, and stinking thinking. These all begin from the insides. So I need to spend Lent working on the insides. What good is it to do some outside change if nothing is going to happen on the insides? The reason for an outside action such as fasting or spending more time in church is to "remind" me on a daily basis that it is Lent. Giving up sweets is a reminder. It does not change my interior self. People in recovery programs can go to more meetings. They probably won't drink, no small thing, but they won't change the insides either.

So what to do? For me, it is the daily grind, or restful moments, of some meditative reading, silence, stillness, quiet time with myself. Maybe keep a daily journal. God will do the rest. And I probably will become a more pleasant and useful person.

No comments:

Post a Comment