Monday, February 20, 2012

Loneliness

I was walking along the street in San Francisco one day and a fellow dressed in black including his helmut, came riding by on a big, noisy motorcycle, with a boom box blaring out. Everyone stopped and looked. He was the center of attention. I suspected this was his intent, as he circled the block and passed us all by a second time. He will go back to where he lives and face loneliness. Self-absorbed people end their day lonely. Why? No one really cares to spend time with people focused upon themselves. If the fellow had put aside his ego and been helpful to someone, unselfish, he would have had a possible answer for loneliness that evening.

Whenever I get absorbed into fantasy, I am the center of attention doing heroic and marvelous things. I am self-absorbed. At times I find this followed by a bout of loneliness. It is a way the psyche seems to get me back into balance. But it is so painful a return. Better to live in the present moment and not focus so much on me. Meditation, contacting a friend, taking out the garbage, the list is endless once you get into the moment. Plans, hopes flow from present reality, not from virtual reality, or self-absorbed fantasy. I don't think God lives there. No wonder you get so lonely!

1 comment:

  1. "For anger rests in the bosom of fools"
    Ecclesiastes 7:9

    ReplyDelete