Thursday, March 21, 2013

Declining News

A report says that local news on TV is losing audience.  To me, this is in part the result of a lot of ambulance chasing.  The first few stories are about car wrecks, robberies where a reporter goes to the scene, reports on camera what happened and then onto the next event.  If a local politician gives a press talk, the reporter goes live on camera to say what the politician just said.  It is inexpensive and takes little talent.  No journalism here.  So people stop watching.  Advertisers stop advertising.  No money?  Show dies a slow death or lives on life support.

What is my point?  If the parish delivers a message that is not well prepared, by someone who does not take the time to do something in depth, people will stop tuning in.  Then they will go elsewhere or do something else with that block of time.  Money will dry up. The parish will go live on life support, dying slowly, attended by a few old diehards.  You can keep the attendance up a little by baptizing babies.  But that is a bit like buying more TVs.  You get a few more viewers, for a while.  Eventually, talent and effort, or the lack thereof, finds its own level of mediocrity.

2 comments:

  1. For me, I am tired of TV news AND newspapers because they are always full of the bad news. I want some hope and good news please. If the parish helps lift me up, I will more likely go there. I want more positive influences in my life, please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since we have moved frequently in the past five years, we have found ourselves searching for a church that gives the Good News of Christ in different places. Sometimes it has been difficult. I, too, want and need hope. God made man as his crowning glory. Why is it so hard for us ?

    ReplyDelete