Thursday, March 28, 2013

Spy Wednesday

Yesterday was Spy Wednesday, in rememberance of Judas, who betrayed Jesus.  Everyone seems to know the name of this fellow Judas.  He hung himself, after betraying Jesus for 30 pieces of silver, and came to a tragic end.  On the other hand, in Matthew 26: 14-25, there is a fellow simply called, "a man" who has a room where Jesus and his friends will celebrate the Passover.  This anonymous guy, who no one seems to remember his name, was helpful, obedient, generous with his house, but a no name.

Today I am 70.  Do I want to be the center of attention?  The focus?  Humm.  Would I feel badly if people around me made no mention of my birthday?  Forgot my name?  If so, I might be in good company, so long as I too am helpful, obedient to God's will and generous with what I have.  Judas or Anonymous?  I prefer to be Anonymous and in the Kingdom of friendship with God.  Sometimes, having your name remembered is not such a good thing.  Who ever names their kid "Judas?"

3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Father Terry! May you have many more years to help us all find our way to God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today seems like a good day for gratitude to those on whose shoulders you stand....
    That have helped shape the man you have become
    And the many years you have had to experience life
    All it's gifts, experiences, friendships,

    ReplyDelete
  3. A name says a lot about who we are or who we want to be. We can create a legacy for our name, just look to Pope Francis I and the legacy he follows. Will there someday be a Pope Francis II? Will he, too, wash the feet of prisoners and shun the papal apartments?

    You are "Father Terry" and we think of humility and honest devotion to our Lord by that name.

    Happy Birthday, Father Terry and may God bless you with many more years and grant you the wisdom you seek.

    My younger brother, whose middle name is Terry, shares his birthday with you. Happy birthday to two good men!

    ReplyDelete