Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Francis I

As you are all reading, our new pope lives in a small room and not a house or bishop mansion.  He takes public transportation to work instead of being driven in a limo.  His parents are from Italy.  He is Italian but from a southern hemisphere country and speaks Spanish.  He is a religious order priest, a Jesuit, but took the name of the Franciscan founder.  This is all impressive for the world.  He did ask the people to bless him by silent prayer, before he blessed them.  He will be the evangelizer of Rome, his diocese, which is a signal to bishops that he is not going to run their world for them, as did his two predecessors.  He will give an example of how to evangelize.  He is 76 and can give it a go for 8-10 years.  It gives him time to pick more pastoral type priests for Cardinals, rather than office functionaries and those who like to live in comfort.  He may have to hunt for these in the USA.  Who knows.  I have felt that religious order priests were the future if the church was going to talk to the modern world.  We tend to listen more, and have a better connect with the laity even though we live in community.  We tend to be better educated too.  Just sayin'.

Anyway, I am a good fit for this pope.  I have a small office and small bedroom, no furniture, drive a 20 year old car, am Jesuit educated, am a religous order priest, and can do Spanish.  I await my phone call.  Does Francis I have my cell?

2 comments:

  1. Should I prepare to retire to Rome? I don't think Francis would like you living in Sea Ranch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uncle Terry,

    Tiffany and I think you should keep your cell phone close......

    For what it's worth, I think he'll set a GREAT example and remind people of what is important...

    Lots of Love, Scott and Tiffany

    ReplyDelete