Thursday, June 5, 2014

Old Coffee

I come downstairs early in the morning for a cup of freshly brewed coffee.  The machine is on a timer so that the coffee is ready when I get there.  I go to the coffee counter and see that coffee has leaked/spilled onto the counter.  Instantly, I know what happened.  The day before, fresh coffee was put into the machine, and the timer was set.  BUT, there was still old, stale coffee in the pot.  Someone, who will of course go to purgatory, forgot to empty the pot.  I poured a cup.  It was stale and warm.  I am lazy and tired.  I drank the yucky coffee.  The spiritual life is like the coffee pot.  We have stale, old ways of living, acting and thinking.  God seeks to pour fresh Spirit into us.  God does not wait for us to be all cleaned out from the old.  God does not demand that we be perfect to receive the Spirit.  So we are a mixture.  Our part of the spiritual life is to try and get rid of the old stuff on a daily basis.  The emptier we get, the more room for the Spirit and the better we are to flavor our world that day with goodness, kindness, love, and be happy, and joyous, free of the stale parts for that day.  We don't control the Spirit.  That is God's doing.  Our job is to make room.  Does God have to go to purgatory for pouring new Spirit into old behavior me?  If so, maybe my big sister, Maureen, hitched a ride up to heaven.

2 comments:

  1. Great imagery! LOVE it!

    One little thing - I kinda thought God was everywhere - even purgatory AND Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hold on! Don't you have a microwave! I don't consider one day old to be yucky. It's only a day old. Really half fresh. Cleaning up the mess is the hard part.

    ReplyDelete