Thursday, June 19, 2014

Road Racing

When I race against a course or for time, I don't do very well.  I need people to race against.  It is my competitive nature.  I like to beat people, not time or distance.  I am much better off when racing on a team because every runner I pass is a point in favor of my team.  I have a commitment to a group of people, my teammates.  I am running against people, the other racers, and for people, my teammates.  It is the same with my work and my spiritual life  I am better when I see myself as part of some larger group, such as the church, or the Paulist Fathers.  I cannot be just for me.  My prayer life is training for something more than jsut me and my soul.  When I am selfish or isolated I do more poorly than when I am for someone larger than or more than me.  I miss cross country team racing.  This running to say, " I ran a half marathon," or running for a medal for me, is so…so.

No comments:

Post a Comment