Friday, October 31, 2014

Gifts

We all have gifts or talents.  The seed of them is freely given to each one of us.  That is part of the reason they are called gifts.  We develop them, and work on them, but we do not create them.  No DNA is the same and so too, a gift is unique.  The way to make a gift be all that it can be, is not just to work at it, but to use it for the benefit of others.  Then it becomes a gift for those with whom you share it.  A musician works on the music craft, and then performs for others.  Some people can learn to play the piano, but that does not make them a gifted pianist.  You know the difference when you hear it.  So why try and become who you are not?  Find your gift.  Instinct helps.  Courage to try different things helps.  Friends may reflect our gifts to us.  Prayer can do it too, so I believe.  My friend Farquar has sobriety now and he tries to help others who are struggling with the drink.  I have a gift of being nice to witches.  Oh!  Today is Halloween.  Now where is that sister of mine, Maureen?  I love you Maureen!  I didn't even cross my fingers.  What is your gift?  Can you share it today?

3 comments:

  1. It seems that I am still looking for my gift and how to use it and I have already retired! Praying helps. Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted what I considered an important gift - like to be that musician or a great teacher like Fr. Terry, but thinking about "the Tone" maybe small talents are important too - like having a ready smile that you share with everyone you meet.

    It suddenly occurs to me that a gift or talent is something that can be shared that lifts people up and/or improves the world. It could be a knack for growing beautiful flowers or baking delicious bread. It could be standing patiently by a friend in distress.

    I think my gift is for finding beautiful sunrises and calling attention to them to the people around me. It feels like God paints a morning prayer in the sky. Each different, each beautiful. Each important. It starts the day on an uplifting note.

    ReplyDelete