Monday, June 15, 2015

A gem

I arrived at the Italian restaurant on East 62nd Street early.  It turned out to be food to die for in New York.  Being early I decided to go see some brownstones nearby.  Suddenly, I cam upon a gem of a neighborhood Catholic church.  The doors were open.  I went in.  One other person was there, praying in this quiet place, Our Lady of Peace Catholic Church.  This is what the church can do.  Provide places of quiet respite with beautiful art for people to go and find/be with God in peace and quiet.  On the way out I saw a sign asking me to sign a petition that the church not be closed.  It is on valuable property.  If sold, lots of money can go elsewhere from the proceeds.  A Fordham alum who lives nearby says that the church has a congregation that does not live in the area but comes to church there and maintains it.  There is an Irish pastor.  No debt.  Why not let this church be a witness in this neighborhood, of the presence of religious art that points to the Holy in our midst?  Oh!  St. Patrick's cathedral is being redone to the tune of a lot of money.  It is my favorite church of all, but I am always for the little guy, the small parish almost hidden on East 62nd Street.

1 comment:

  1. There is something different in old Catholic churches. Maybe prayers stick to the walls. In Philadelphia, I saw churches boarded up. Have we outgrown churches ? Consolidate and see who comes. What was the name of the restaurant ? Maybe they could hold one of the old Italian dinners the church was so well known for and raise some awareness. I feel overwhelmed by the money makers.

    ReplyDelete