Friday, June 26, 2015

Credal Insight

Now and again in my reading I get a profound and new insight into one of my Catholic creed beliefs. It never comes from someone defending the superiority of the Catholic Church.  It never comes from someone who is teaching catechism.  The new insight is the "Aha" moment for me.  It is the same words of the creed but the meaning is much deeper.  This shows me that there is nothing wrong with my creeds.  It is that they have not been taught in any sense of their fulness.  Where the teaching is shallow, it is often due to a mistranslation of original texts into English.  The translation was political.  The "authority" had already decided what Jesus, Moses, or some prophet must have meant, or what some wisdom poem must have meant, and translate the original texts or the most ancient text into whatever will support their "opinion."  Once you discover writers living "on the edge" they will lead you to other writers and more insights.  If your religion does not stimulate and excite you, then you have not found the right teachers.  Then again, the pupil might not be ready.

3 comments: