Thursday, June 11, 2015

Peace

I love this one from Mother Teresa back in 1994.  She says that the idea of peace for most people is that we don't bother one another.  "Just leave me in peace" usually means, go away and don't bother me.  This is what might be called the "World's Peace."  Mother Teresa said that there is another kind of peace, the "Peace of the Heart."  This is the peace that comes with loving, with doing good for others even when it might hurt us who try to love from the heart.  One peace is a bit self-centered, as a solution to our misery.  "Leave me alone."  "Don't bother me."  I know this peace quite well.  It is a peace that might actually harm others, by avoiding them.  "Blessed are the Peacemakers" does not mean doing nothing, but doing good.  It requires compassion for the suffering of another, as well as the humility to accept that the good I try to do might meet with no success or change anything.  Well, it will change me for the better.  That is a good thing.

1 comment:

  1. I just returned from putting my 94-yr old father into the safety of skilled care from the squalor of independent living. Thank you for the grace to understand and write it.

    ReplyDelete