Friday, June 5, 2015

Relate OR Separate

We just celebrated Trinity Sunday a few days ago in my church.  I used my volunteer experience in a big 10K race as an example of becoming "relational."  God is relational.  That is the Three in One idea.  As a volunteer at the Memorial Day race, I related to all the runners.  I cared about how they were doing.  I tried to keep my part of the course safe for them.  I watched for anyone stumbling.  I felt connected with the runners regardless of who they were or how they looked.  When I run I compete.  It is all so self-focused.  If I separate myself from others I am more likely to notice differences in ethnicity and language.  But when I am of service I feel connected.  The differences seem to disappear.  This is the benefit to me of being of service, helping another person.  And I seem to feel better about myself.  When I compete I get into the "coulda" and "shoulda" done better.  When I am of service I seem to do just fine.  God is at work when my ego takes a break.    

No comments:

Post a Comment