Saturday, February 12, 2022

The Well

 When you are new or young and people are trying to teach you about a religion I was given the metaphor of the well.  At first the teacher draws water from the well and give it to you.  They tell you about catechism, doctrine, structure, things you can see, rituals and such.  In my church kids get this in elementary school.  But when you get older, you have to begin to draw your own water from the well, if you are still interested in that water.  Drawing your own water is when you explore the given path, but in more depth.  This depth will include less wordy prayers, or public rituals.  It will reveal your own shortcomings that don’t simply go away with saying you are sorry.  In my path I have found God drawing the deep water with me, and then God doing all the heavy lifting.  Beginners think my religion is all about merit.  Do this and get that, like an insurance policy.  For me, the path is more about grace.  

No comments:

Post a Comment