Tuesday, February 1, 2022

The Door

 I used to look for happiness outside of myself.  If that person or that situation or work would change to my preference/wants/desires, then I would be happy.  I would look for happiness in another person, like falling in love.  Or look for the right job or the right place to live.  If only my team would win then I would be happy.  All outside stuff and quite beyond my control.  But as Kierkegaard said, “The door to happiness opens to the inside.”  Maybe that is why I am at peace here in this monastery with no TV, radio, newspaper, cell phone service, and narrow internet band.  All outside stuff.  I awake each morning, in the middle of your night, to open the door to the inside of myself.  

1 comment:

  1. I just read this and it reminds me of you, Father Ryan. :)
    Learning to share my experiences with others is one of the biggest gifts I get from practicing the Steps of AA. Letting others know that they matter; that what they do matters.

    And giving it away is what makes it matter.

    ReplyDelete