Saturday, May 14, 2022

A Miracle

 Today, I am 45 years ordained a priest.  I was ordained in our Mother Church in New York City with 8 other Paulists.  I was very nervous.  I was supposed to love God.  But I was very much thinking, "Do I really belong here?"  A Catholic priest?  But I had been preparing for five years, so I was as ready as I could be.  There were moments when I thought that ordination was the cure for my chronic imperfections.  I did not know the half of my imperfections at that time.  But grace won out.  Over the years, after I learned that I was not going to save the world, I helped a few people.  Since I was rather self-centered, helping a few people was a miracle.  God was at work making some good things happen with imperfect me.  I was lucky that my first church work after ordination was Aldine, Texas.  There, the people taught me how to be a priest.  They must have seen some potential.  God was at work.  God still is, and I am still here.  

9 comments:

  1. It's an honor to be able to celebrate this day with you, Father Ryan (even if it is across the miles!). You are still helping people on the daily and I am forever thankful that I have the opportunity to grow with you and read your blogs. Enjoy a day of sunshine in all of it's forms! :) Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fr. Terry, it is wonderful for us to join you in celebrating your 45 years of priesthood. You have "grown with the vocation" and have ventured into new areas of ministry that didn't exist during the time of your ordination. Thank you for setting up your daily blog! I look forward to reading every one of your posts. You have addressed situations that I have found personally helpful, especially in a time of need. Bravo, and sincere thanks for "being there" for us every day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congradulations Fr. Terry! God continue to Bless you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Fr. Terry! You are doing a great job! I am grateful for the work you do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary, Fr. Terry. Thank you for making that commitment all those years ago to be of lifelong service to us, your sisters and brothers in Christ. I especially love how you honor traditions that might not be your own yet you hold space for everyone. You teach us all through your honest and selfless actions. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! Job well done! ✝️

    ReplyDelete
  7. By the time I got to Aldine, you were a great priest. I can't tell you how much you helped me. You were the start of my forty plus year love affair with Paulists, even though they are no longer here in Aldine. I try to stay in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You certainly pointed me to the gate for the Spiritual Path. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are a humble and beautiful person that has come a long way

    ReplyDelete