Saturday, May 21, 2022

Communion

 I sense that the deepest level of communication is communion, a realization of Oneness.  This Oneness I cannot look upon as an object. Then it would not be Oneness.  Instead, it is like being in a darkness, thought-empty, the candle of my separate self light blown out.  Afterwards, as I go about my day, the ordinary, the seemingly mundane, has this Presence, in which I am present to the moment.  All is pregnant with light and life and even love.  Holy Communion is the enactment, in sacrament, of this experience.  We enact what we do not yet experience, Oneness.  The actual receiving, hands held out empty, is wordless, like contemplative prayer.  Everyone is receiving the same food, as they enact oneness, though they do not experience it yet.  When they leave the assembly, it is as separate people, to their own cars, apartments, coffee shop or grocery.  We continue to talk to those we know and ignore those we do not know.  But Holy Communion is a start.  

1 comment:

  1. THIS! Is one of your absolutely best messages, Fr. Terry. Thank you so much for these words which I fully believe and agree with too. But you have said it so well. I will share this with others and keep it handy as a reminder for me.

    ReplyDelete