Monday, November 28, 2022

Equality

 I would not make too big a deal about equality.  In relationships I try not to focus on equality, or sharing equally, or being equal.  Why?  A relationship for me is all about changing me and not changing the other person.  People get married, or partner up with the idea that after they commit, then they will change the other person to suit themself.  In the monastery, I am not equal to the other monks.  I am not a monk. I don’t get to attend their community meetings.  I cook for them.  They do not cook for me.  I bake.  They eat.  So what?  They won’t change.  That is not why I am here with them.  I want to be changed on my insides.  No resentment.  No judgment.  Acceptance.  Humility.  Being of service.  They help me to become a better me, by just being themselves.  Priests who think they are better than the people they serve, just don’t get it.  To be subordinate has a lot of wisdom to it.  The ego disagrees.  

1 comment: