Monday, April 29, 2013

Marriage Debate

In this discussion/debate about what is marriage and what is not, one side seems to focus on the sexual intercourse of a man and a woman in order to have children.  Well, how much of a marriage is taken up with this endeavor?  One percent of the time?  Being celibate, I really don't know, but I suspect that it is a really low percentage of what a couple does in their marriage over its lifetime.  For centuries, my church defined marriage by sexual intercourse.  A ceremony was not enough to make a marriage.  The well-being of the wife?  Forget it.  Render the debt is what she was supposed to do.  It is hard for my church to get on any other track.  There may be other points in the discussion to restrict the use of the word "marriage" but I don't think this is one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment