Sunday, April 14, 2013

Mary At 100

I annointed a woman named Mary today.  She is 100 years old.  Her body is shot, but her mind is intact.  I feel that way when I run.  But back to Mary.  I annointed her and gave her communion.  She said the "Our Father" prayer with us.  As I was about to leave I bent my head down to her and she gave me her blessing.  I felt her thumb make the sign of the cross on my forehead.  What a gift.  I get a blessing from a woman who has 100 years of good living and loving.   Why do we run to clergy for blessings when we can get a blessing from such people as Mary?  In some countries, the elderly are wisdom figures, and considered holy.  They give blessings to the younger members of the family.  To some people in First World countries, the elderly are a burden and not a gift.  Sad.

1 comment: