Thursday, April 11, 2013

Mary

Some people get on us Catholics for focusing on Mary, the mother of Jesus.  We have special feast days for her, and give her all kinds of special titles, like Mother of God, Immaculate Mary, Mother of the Church.  Modern people think we Catholics are a bit much.  "Focus on Jesus," they say.  Well, last I looked, Jesus was God made human.  Humans need mothers, no? Without Mary there would be no Jesus.  Without her "Yes" there would be no Jesus.  She had free will.  Adam and Eve did too.  Their free will got us into this mess.  Now we wait for a "Yes" to God's plan, a selfless yes, in spite of fear and questioning.  Mary gave us the "Yes."  So cut us Catholics some slack.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heart Mary! (I tried to make a heart on the previous comment and it didn't work. That's why I deleted it!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Mary has a special role and a special place. Where I draw the line
    is this co-redeemer nonsense.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why is it that some are sure that they KNOW the way and everyone else should follow along with their thinking. I have no idea what co-redeemer nonsense is, but if it works for some others, then that's between them and God, I am not the judge of their path. So many paths, it keeps life interesting!

    I've decided to follow the path of the small smile. Each time I find something that gives me a small smile in my daily life, I'm going to take it as a sign that God loves me and wants my life to be joyous. Thoughts of Mary often have given me those small smiles.

    ReplyDelete