Monday, April 22, 2013

Permission

When I come back to Boulder from one of my trips, excursions, or whatever, people say, "Welcome home."  But is it really home?  A child does not need permission to live at home.  It comes with being the child.  Parents, couples, don't need permission to come home, short of court orders of course.  Home is where you don't need permission to live there.  I need the permission of the pastor to live here at the church rectory.  This is fine with me.  It is the way things are set up.  When a new pastor comes in, I will need a new permission.  But I am careful about calling a place "home."

We see adds in papers inviting Catholics to "come home."  This means come back to church.  So you come back.  Priest gets up in pulpit and proceeds to say who can and cannot come to communion.  Would you really call "home" a place where you cannot come to the table to eat?  Seems Jesus fed people.  You only had to come.  No permissions were needed.  I think that Jesus is my home.

2 comments:

  1. Well I muse that the church in Boulder feels a lot more like "home" when you are there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And remember, you have a home up here in the Roaring Fork Valley!

    ReplyDelete