Monday, April 8, 2013

More Is Less

Sometimes more is less.  I am thinking of adding another day each week to my running schedule.  That would mean I would run three days in a row instead of every Tuesday and Thursday.  I would add Wednesday as a running day.  Is more better?  Maybe... but I must consider that I am 70 and not 20.  When I was 20 more was definitely better.  I had more muscle and cushoning between my bones.  My body was more elastic then.  Age might mean a shift towards balance and moderation.  Unfortunately, the ego does not diminish as we get older, nor does it become more humble for many of us.  That is why we old guys do need a coach, a kind of spiritual mentor for our running.  Might this not work in prayer and work?  Keep a balance...moderation in each?  If the ego rules, then we will add more work and less prayer.  We only have so many hours in the day.  More work can mean less, just as more time in bed does not mean more rest, or more food mean more nourishment.  Most of us train pretty hard in the work part, but slack off in the prayer part.  When prayer is the price you pay for adding more work to your life, you probably need a spiritual coach, or at least a brilliant spiritual blog!  Could that be mine? Oh, I forgot, I am practicing humility, so my ego does not get me running too much.

1 comment:

  1. Love having a "brilliant spiritual blog"!

    ReplyDelete