Monday, June 17, 2013

Running

It is in my blood.  Running for me is not exercise to stay fit.  It is not an attempt to be free of a pot belly, nor a way to balance eating chocolate.  Running for me is part of life, of being me.  To not run would be trying to live in some other body.  Non-runners do not get this.  They think that it is exercise, something optional, when you have the time and inclination and interest.  They think that you could just as easily ski or bike or do some zumba.  I do not bother to convince non-runners.  I simply say, "I need to run," or "I am going for a run."  When a runner still has the body to run, and wants to run, but life gets in the way, the runner is dying.  We are not self-absorbed, or self-centered in this area.  We are runners.  If you are not a runner, beware of marrying one.  They already have a spouse.  When the runner goes out the door with their running gear on, they are going on a date, or an intimate moment with their spouse, the road/trail meeting the steady stride.

3 comments:

  1. I just finished a book where this was brought up: Me Before You, by Jojo Moyes. I highly recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Years ago I knew a couple where running was the 'jealous mistress' and the marriage eventually broke up - both sides "blamed - or credited" the running. I've known other marriages with one running and one non-running spouse where the running helped keep the marriage together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you can run, but you can not hide!

    ReplyDelete