Wednesday, November 20, 2013

William F. Buckley

I used to read the conservative thinker, William F. Buckley, who is dead now.  He was very funny in person and in print.  He was a Catholic too.  Liberals should subscribe to "National Review" magazine and see what the other side has to say.  Anyway, I had to read Buckley with a dictionary in hand because he used words I did not know.  I was an English major, but a dummy when it came to Bucklerian vocabulary.  At first, I found it frustrating and tedious.  But in time, I decided that I was expanding my use and understanding of words.  I was becoming a better English major.  Buckley "learned me good!"  I find the same problem with the gospels and Jesus.  It can be frustrating to understand.  Sometimes it is unfathomable.  John's gospel can be tedious.  But in time, I find that I am a better person for it.  I am a better Catholic.  I wonder if God is heaven is the first person to whom Buckley speaks, who does not need a dictionary?  I have heard that conservatives can go to heaven.  Just a rumor, mind you.

2 comments:

  1. Did you ever watch Firing Line on Sunday mornings. I believe at one time Buckley was a regular co-host.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buckley spoke at my college graduation in 1970.
    I did not comprehend one word of it.

    ReplyDelete