Thursday, March 27, 2014

Power Up

Some one said that prayer is like plugging your smart phone or electronic device into the wall or another computer to recharge or download something.  I like this.  I am pretty good about making sure that my phone and iTouch do not run out of power.  Would that I were as conscientious as to my spiritual life.  I have to turn to prayer of some sort each day to recharge my spiritual battery, or to get some info from the spiritual realm that is new or I have forgotten.  I am a good forgetter.  So the next time you are feeling low energy think about prayer, be it sacraments for Catholics, or meditation on some Scripture or spiritual reading, or getting together with another on the spiritual path.  Just taking a nap does not fill us up.  Besides, you don't need a nap as soon as you wake up in the morning.  But you might need to POWER UP!

6 comments:

  1. Saw the movie Philomena yesterday and felt another crisis of faith. Was reminded of the sisters in my grammar school who still scare me 60 years later. A friend reminded me that they - the nuns- did not know any better. But I am still angry. I knew the story before I went. Did not expect to be so moved. I think I need to pray more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also saw Philomena and was stunned by Philomena's true faith as she forgave the Nun who hid her sons life from her. What a powerful example of faith in action. Made me proud that this faith filled Catholic woman understood Christ's message of forgiveness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the Nun, what was she an example of? She had power and she was going to punish those girls because she could..... all in the name of ....I am holy and you are not.

      Delete
  3. As I understand it, philanina forgave that nun because she chose freedom for herself instead of the bondage of hatred. Nothing to do with feeling sorry for the nun.
    I think both woman were victims of the same church, it's rules to keep women pitted against each other, making the vow of celebicy somehow more spiritual than committed sexual union.
    I highly recommend the book, in paperback by Martin Sixsmith
    ... So much more than the movie could show in 2hrs.
    A very good read.

    ReplyDelete