Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Short And Small

I have found that my homily gets shorter and more to the point, as my ego diminishes.  When I am all about me, I can go on and on.  My ego likes to be self-referential.  Unfortunately, my ego has done little to help anyone grow closer to God, improve their life, or feel loved.  It seems that people are a lot less interested in hearing about me, than I am in talking about me.  My ego tells me otherwise.  It wants me to fail.  In my worse moments, that which I worship wants to destroy me.  A hint: when people ask, "How are you?" be brief, but honest.  Let them ask for more.  Here in Florida no one has asked me for longer homilies.  For the moment, my ego is right-sized.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting. I am a troubadour of sorts. a poet and an actor. I love to sing ballads, quote shakespeare. I enjoy being a lector at Sunday mass and working on the reading. Using my God-given talents to try and entertain shut-ins. So why don't I commit to helping others with a little music?
    MY EGO.
    Like the old actor said, "Enough talk about me, how did You like my performance?"

    ReplyDelete