Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Volunteers And Disciples

I like this one.  An announcement in a church bulletin: "Disciples wanted. Volunteers need not apply."  What is going on here?  Well, picture this.  Two persons are helping to give food out to people who come by saying they need food.  One "volunteer" is giving out food while babbling about how this one or that one does not need the food, or should be out working, or is just using the church for one thing or another.  The other "disciple" is giving out the food, while seeing each receiver as the the face of Christ, the presence of Christ, the temple off God.  A disciple lives in a way to become like Christ, to be transformed, if you will.  The volunteer person reminds me too much of myself.  Yikes!  Pray for me.

7 comments:

  1. I would like to believe that the "volunteer" does not have all the facts. This person who potentially does not need the food is gathering the food for others who do need the food but are too humble to ask for help! I understand what you wrote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit that when I 'work' at Community Table to help
    feed (mostly) needy people I try to ACT like I am a disciple but I often THINK like a volunteer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not even a "volunteer," There are needy people in our community, but are those needs met with free food, clothing and shelter? When does such generosity become enabling? How can I truly "help" the needy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Give a man a fish and feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and he is fed for life"
      One must become engaged with those we would serve...

      tomfitz in Snowmass

      Delete
  4. I find that when I start making judgments, I tend to do nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "wealth-getting enters as an ideal into the very bone and marrow of our generation...we have grown literally afraid to be poor... We despise anyone who elects to be poor in order to simplify and save his inner life". William James

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Charity is only as warm as those who administer it...The message comes from the Cross." Dorothy Day

    ReplyDelete