Saturday, March 15, 2014

Prayer

Why do I always pray that I get what I want, and that things go my way?  Do you?  I seem to pray for my preferred outcome.  Jesus said, "Take up your cross and follow me."  I see no acceptance of cross in my prayers.  I don't want a cross.  I want my way.  I have found that getting my way is pleasant for a while, but does not really change me for the better.  Maybe I could pray that when life happens this day, I might act like Jesus would act.  His miracles were all about helping others, not himself.  For a guy who could walk on water, he did not try and escape or whine about that last Friday when he died.  Talk about life on life's terms!

2 comments:

  1. It must be part of "Original Sin" that we have such difficulty surrendering our EGO (Edging God Out) to "Thy Will Be Done" - what if God's Will for me does not match my emotional programs for happiness?
    Why is it so hard to follow "Good Orderly Direction"?
    "Ours is not to reason why..."

    tomfitz in Snowmass (can't figure out how to ID my comments)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When Jesus in Matthew speaks of "whatsoever you do to the least. you do to me" it puzzles me why we fail to imitate Christ in our daily lives. If we are made in God's image and likeness, as Christians believe, why so difficult? You may have left your heart in San Francisco Fr. Terry, but I think I lost my soul behind the wheel of my Lexus.

    ReplyDelete