Saturday, September 15, 2018

Awake?

There is the story of ten virgins, five wise and practical, five not so wise.  They are supposed to be waiting for a wedding to start, but it is delayed.  In this case it is the groom who is tardy, not the bride.  The wise virgins bring extra oil.  The "foolish" as they are called bring no extra oil.  They expect things to happen on time.  So when the wedding is finally going to start, the foolish have run out of oil in their lamps and want the wise ones to lend them some.  The wise say no, not our problem.  Go to town and buy some yourself.  By the time the virgins return from town, the doors are locked and no one will let them in.  The moral?  Stay awake.  You know not the hour.  Really?  I am with the foolish ones, as they are labeled.  I am not waiting for the second coming.  I am not thinking about it.  I expect things to happen on time.  Why should I be punished if other people screw up?  But it happens.  And I would lend if someone had none and I had some of something.  The ones with the extra oil might be "wise" but they are fearful too, and so they hoard.  My Jesus was the physician for the sick,  and the ones who are lost.  Besides, isn't the cross kind of foolish for a God to be on?  So pray, not so much for wisdom as for kindness and trust that God loves you.

1 comment: