Thursday, September 13, 2018

By Halves

St. Augustine in his “Confessions” said that he did not want to live his life by halves.  I think of “half-hearted” and “half-assed” and I don’t want that for today.  I only have today.  What will I do so that I give my best to what unfolds this day?  Prayerful reflection.  For one, I might have revealed to me some character defect that I need to watch, lest it get in the way of my giving my best.  My best may not be all that perfect, but it will the best of me at the moment when I need to step up.  If I strive for perfection, it may result in false pride, or worse, the self-nagging of “why can’t I do or be better?”  What a lousy day that will be!  Instead, I try to stay out of my own way, be aware of my shortcomings, or tiredness, or sadness, and not let their energy control my response to the world.  I can even practice honesty, and tell someone, “I am a bit tired right now,” rather than whine, complain or ignore.  Sometimes a lesser response is better than a nasty response.  A full life need not be a perfect one.

No comments:

Post a Comment