Thursday, September 6, 2018

Natch

“Natch” refers to doing something natural and sober.  I remember when I was a young man and would go to a social occasion or dance where I did not know many people, or maybe I did know many people.  I would walk in nervous and somewhat fearful.  The thoughts flow: “I am being ignored.”  I just got there!  “They won’t like me.”  I cannot ask anyone to dance, or even carry on a conversation until I have some “help” and that would be a drink, or two.  The room may be loud, so you have to shout, but that is good because then you don’t have to talk much to a partner.  It goes on like that.  I was anything but “natch” in those days.  Now, I may still have some fears or anxiety about going into a room full of people, unless I am the center of attention!  But I don’t do any stimulants.  Instead, I have improved my spiritual condition, such that, fear does not rule me.  I decide to talk to one person at a time and ask them about themselves. Listen.  If it is a dinner/lunch I talk to whoever is next to me.  Maybe they are nervous too?  Never thought of that in the long ago past.  It is a nice way to be of service and cut into loneliness, mine or other’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment