Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Feelings Fib

Feelings fib.  They don't tell us the truth about what is going on in our prayer life.  In prayer, you are not alone.  If you think you are alone, well, I guess you are talking to yourself.  I have experienced talking to myself, but thinking I am talking to someone else.  You know, carrying on a conversation mentally, or even verbally, but you are the only one in the room.  But away from weirdness and back to prayer.  In prayer, we are not alone.  There is Someone or some Presence involved.  Prayer is relational.  So this Other, Power, God, Force, Energy can respond as it sees fit.  God, in my case, is not tied into my agenda to "feel" something.  So sometimes I get boredom.  Prayer seems so dry and uneventful, or empty.  "Hello!  Anybody in there or out there?"  Why does God do me like that sometimes?  Maybe, to remind me who is in charge.  This shrinks my ego for sure.  And it might keep me from trying to control the prayer relationship.  Me, a control person?  A little humility might pop up in my life like a crocus in the winter of my discontent.  So if I feel bored or alone in prayer, it does not mean that transformation is not going on.  The only mistake to make in prayer, is to not do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment