Monday, December 30, 2019

Their Things

When someone dies, those close to them or admirers try to keep something of the dead person’s stuff or even a lock of hair.  Why?  Well the word for relic means “remains, leavings.”  When a body dies it might be seen as a relic.  It is what the deceased leaves behind.  That may be why some people visit graves.  It is all about remembering the deceased and the goodness of them.  But I think it is more.  I think the things that people touch, such as teddy bears, diaries, favorite toys, pet rock and so forth, all carry some of the goodness of that person.  Touch is important to heal grief and give us some of the power of the deceased person.  I have an angel stone from when my mother died.  I have her rosary and my Dad’s wedding band.  I am still hoping the power of their goodness will rub off.  Some say it has...a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment