Sunday, June 28, 2020

Growing Up

On this day, June 28, in 1967 I arrived in Chicago, with all my belongings in my VW Bug.  I was on the MBA graduate track, fresh from the Ivy League Columbia University program.  What I learned years later, was that indeed I was on a career track, but not this one.  I had the spiritual hunger of a loneliness that was not even apparent to me.  But to touch and begin to satiate this loneliness I had to eliminate cultural signposts of happiness and fulfillment.  This Chicago job was supposed to be both and I was being led to make the move and take the job by a power that would become more apparent through a process of elimination.  I had to realize that this Corporate job/career was a beautiful and blessed round hole.  But I was a square peg.  This was the first of several wonderful round hole opportunities that I would encounter, but a square peg I remained.  No round hole could change that.  Along the way I would make some good, life-long friends and have many memories, and some forgetful events as I moved along to wherever I was meant to be.  I stayed in Chicago for two years, two Chicago winters.  They were brutal.  What to do? Move on to a warmer round hole. San Francisco beckoned.  Now that was a place for a square peg!

2 comments:

  1. Love it! We are square pegs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless you father we are all energy bounded by constraints at times we become square peg the other time become round peg
    have a beautiful peg day

    ReplyDelete