Thursday, June 25, 2020

True Self

As Martin Laird reminds me, what is this true self that so many people are frantically looking for?  I don’t doubt that there is something that is called the true self, the me I am made to be, fully aware and all that.  But I don’t think it does much good to search for it as in finding it somewhere and saying, “Ah!  There is is.”  We each are our true self, so it is not out there someplace waiting to be discovered.  I simply mediate on a regular basis and allow myself to awaken, if you will.  To look actively for the true self is a bit like driving around town in the very car that you think you lost and are trying to find.  “An Ocean Of Light” by Martin Laird is a very good book and not many pages.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like me when I am trying to do a lot of things and can't find myself or where to start or search. This are the kind of books I like. Will look for it. How are you Fr. Terry?

    ReplyDelete