Saturday, June 27, 2020

Real Presence

I used to think that Jesus is in the host, and not so much outside the host.  That is, he is really present in one place and not so present in other places.  Also, if I am really bad he leaves me.  So much for how I filtered Catholic school catechism.  That thinking does not work for me anymore.  God is not a “thing” “separate person” that can be in one place but not another place.  God is everywhere and in all and never leaves.  It comes with the job of being Creator.  So God cannot be really present one place, but not so present in another.  God is really present in a tree or a plant or an animal to give some examples.  So is there a difference between the host, holy communion, and the tree?  I believe so.  If I take a piece of bark off of a tree and eat it, I would feel a bit strange at the bark taste.  Maybe I would get sick or indigestion or maybe some healthy thing might be in the bark.  That is not real presence like in the host.  When I bite down on that host, wow, stuff happens to me in some inside place I call the spiritual.   That host is full of unconditional love begun with Creation, going all the way to a supper meal where Jesus said to his cowardly, lying, denying friends, that this food was eating of his love for them in spite of themselves. When you really love someone you give them your all, body and blood, so to speak. Nothing is held back.  That host is full of love like nothing else I eat.  To me that is Real Presence.  Of course, my Mom’s cooking comes pretty close.

1 comment: