Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Flying Prayer

 Isaac Hecker, the founder of the Paulist Fathers, believed in Contemplative Prayer.  He compared it to other forms of prayer in a memorable way.  Vocal prayer, what I learned when I was a boy in school, is like walking, said Hecker.  Meditation, which I stumbled into and then learned more about later in life, is like running.  Contemplative prayer is like flying.  Most of us can walk.  Some of us can run for a reason, to catch a ride or maybe for exercise.  It is more difficult than walking.  But no one can choose to fly.  You can sit in silence and solitude, but only God decides who flys and when.  Hecker called such prayer, “Flying To God.”

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Father Ryan, I just love this. It's so simple and so beautiful. I only knew the Lord's Prayer growing up, I stumbled into our 11th step meeting during my 90 & 90 (I do not believe this is an accident) and practice every morning. I have never been able to describe the feeling I can get and where 40 minutes can just happen but it is such a loving feeling that I have when I'm opening my eyes again. I have no idea if I've been flying to God, but how incredible would it be if I had. Thanks for keeping it simple - you sure know how to speak to my heart. With gratitude and prayers. :)

    ReplyDelete