Sunday, January 3, 2021

The Glass Cup

 We have two vigil candles that we light near the Chapel entrance in the monastery.  Each candle is cradled in a glass cup through which the lit candle shines out.  I think of myself as the glass cup holder.  I am not the light.  Nor am I the candle.  I am the cup through which the light can shine to lead the way.  If the cup breaks then the candle will blow out in the breeze or the wax will drip all over and be a mess.  The candle and cup belong together.  The light is the Power, Energy, Force, God, Presence showing the way, revealing its presence as Light.  But the Light wants me as the way to shine through to others.  When I mess up, let my shortcomings take over my attitude and behavior, it is like the candle cup breaking.  The light cannot shine for others to see.  So I need to stay with my spiritual work so that the Light can shine through me to be of help to others who seek the path.  

No comments:

Post a Comment