Monday, January 25, 2021

Getting Started

I remember when I first decided to enter the Paulist Fathers and the seminary, my reason was "To save my soul."  My life needed a radical change at that time since I was skidding downhill and seemingly no control to stop the skid.  That was 1972 and I am still a Paulist Father, and today is the special Paulist Feast, The Conversion of St. Paul.  My conversion over the years has gone from saving my soul to wanting to become holy.  Isaac Hecker, the Founder of the Paulists, said that you don't become a priest to save your soul.  You are anointed, ordained, to become holy, to become a saint.  I think this could be a goal for everyone, married or single.  Initially, I had set a low bar, but it was the only one I could hope to get over.  Now, I think that Fr. Hecker is right.  Aim higher.  We don't have to be perfect to become holy.  Saints have faults and failings.  Strive on a daily basis and when you stumble, get up and keep striving.  Sainthood is the long journey with some stumbles along the way, but keep the focus on becoming a better person.  One day, all those people who bother you will become "your joy." They may not change, but you will.  One day at a time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment