Saturday, January 30, 2021

Search For Self

 From as far back as I can remember, young people begin their search for identity with the thought that, “I am not going to be like my parents,” or “I am not going to try to be what you want me to be” whoever “you” is.  In the early 50s it was Rock and Roll music, and not swing band music.  And so on.  Ironically, eventually, a lot of children do become very much like their parents after their “rebellion.”  It is a search for identity.  ‘Who am I?” We ask, either directly or indirectly.  I think that a spiritual search is the only way we find out who we are.  We can join clubs, groups, churches, live in certain neighborhoods but none of those things will answer the question.  I live in a monastery but that does not define me.  “Are you a monk?” Someone might ask, as if title defines me.  Where I live, or what I do does not define me.  The spiritual search, the prayer of the heart, beyond our thoughts, or deeper than the mind can go, is where I find “ME” and maybe you find yourself.  And you won’t need a new wardrobe or car or house/condo.  

No comments:

Post a Comment