Thursday, July 29, 2021

Lifer

Someone reminded me that I do not want to be a "First Step Lifer."  What is that?  Well, it is someone who admits that they have a problem.  That is the first step.  Then they do nothing about it.  They know they have a problem with gambling.  Then they go to Vegas.  They are addicted to gambling, know it, and go where they will be sorely tempted to gamble.  I have a problem, an addiction.  ME.  Yes, I am the problem.  Unless I have a plan, soon after waking up, to deal with ME, I will make me the focus of my day. I will be all about 'more" of whatever it is that I think will make me happy.  Anything or anyone is significant, for the moment, if it will serve ME.  The antidote is to take time out each day, and begin very early, to see how detached I am from this addiction to ME.  Am I in touch with resources to keep me balanced?  Am I of service to others?  What is my attitude when plans don't work out?  Am I judgmental, or accepting?  Am I listening or preoccupied with ME?  Am I compassionate or indifferent?  Before I knew that I was the problem, I used to just feel "unfulfilled" and the world around me was the problem.  So I guess I am making a little progress.  I have moved beyond a "First Step Life."  

No comments:

Post a Comment