Monday, July 5, 2021

Methods

 My problem with methods of meditation and prayer in general, is that too frequently I find myself sitting down to pray and think more about the method than the relationship with a Reality that is closer to me than I am to myself.  It might be a bit like taking classes in how to relate better to your spouse, partner, significant other, but when you get together, I would be thinking more about what I learned in class and not even listening to this person I say I love.  I would lack a simple natural presence, wherein I could use what I learned if it would be helpful.  But the point is to love rather than to focus on a practice or method or something I learned in a book or class.  So my suggestion is, have a method for when needed, but show up to prayer and see what happens.  Let the Spirit move you.  I usually find that fewer words helps me, but sometimes I got stuff to say.  Anyhow, I guess I have become a bad teacher of methods.  But I am being honest!  That must count for something.  

No comments:

Post a Comment