Saturday, July 24, 2021

Too Many And Too Few

 There is a saying, "Two many years, not enough days."  It is an addiction and recovery maxim.  I use it for my time here in the monastery.  People tend to ask me how long I have been here or how long do I intend to stay.  Length of time is of not much importance.  What is important is what am I doing with each day during that time.  So my answer is. " I am here for today."  This keeps me in the NOW.  What am I doing with this day in terms of my spiritual life, growth, effort?  I don't want to be just going through the motions, the routines, so as to escape from the world.  Surrender is not escape.  How am I surrendering my will and my life to this Power, Energy, Reality who I call God, today?  The important question is not how long you have been without a drink, or how long you have been married, or how old are you, but what are you doing with each day?  Life is a gift that allow me to do the work to make it a full life, or as some say, living the true self.  

1 comment: