Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Being Here

 When I come to San Francisco to visit with my Paulist brothers, I don't spend a lot of time running about town, eating out, visiting old friends, as much as I used to.  I am not here all that long each visit, so I take time to "be present" to the Paulists who live in the rectory.  Generally, they are at dinner each evening.  Four of them no longer drive.  So I am at dinner too.  I bake bread and make muffins for them, and pizza on Sunday evening.  I am in the ministry of "Presence" in this rectory.  Never underestimate the value of presence to another.  You may be making a difference even if you say nothing profound, nor do they say much about your presence.  I often attend meetings and offer my presence.  I don't have to pressure myself to "be of value" by some wisdom, or insight.  Just be there, but really be there.  Ram Dass, "Be Here Now. "

2 comments:

  1. This works out well with my 18 year old too, just knowing I'm there in the same room, often opens up little conversations he starts. Magic.

    I always love it when I see you at meetings and especially love it when you share, Father Ryan. The first time I saw you at one I was almost giddy with happiness and you didn't have to say a word. Magic again.

    ReplyDelete