Sunday, January 21, 2024

Follow Me

 Early on in John and Mark’s Gospels Jesus invites people to “come along” or “follow me.”  What makes someone follow another?  I think that first, you sense something missing in yourself but you don’t know quite what it is.  Second, you sense that this invite comes from a person who might have a Way for you to become more fulfilled.  You have tried the ego-centered way, all about you, and it did not seem to fill you up.  In 12 step recovery, one person follows another because the one without recovery senses in someone else, a Way to recovery.  They follow.  A sensed need and a felt solution is what can bring people together to make a profound change and a life-long relationship.  People often leave a spiritual practice because they no longer sense a solution in the practice or a need in themselves.  Sufficient suffering consequently, might make them take another look.  

2 comments:

  1. Sufficient suffering...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. I think that happened to me when I started to come back to the Mass and the Church and started finding friends who gave me support and a sense of security in a loving community.






    ReplyDelete